HISTORIC 18th CENTURY HOME OF GENERAL EDWARD HAND
Rock Ford Plantation stands on the wooded banks of the Conestoga River, 1 mile South of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Two centuries ago, no bridges spanned the nearby Conestoga River. Therefore, one forded the Conestoga: at a spot with rock outcroppings. This location is the most likely origin of the name "Rock Ford".
Edward Hand purchased the "plantation tract of land" in two transactions: 160 acres in 1785, and 17 additional acres in 1792. The old term for a farm under cultivation was "plantation" .Built circa 1794, the Georgian style brick mansion remains remarkably preserved and essentially unchanged architecturally. Rock Ford's spacious four floors conform to the same plan --a center hall and four corner rooms --typical of the period. Visitors walk the original18th century floors and see original rails, shutters, doors, cupboards, paneling, and window panes.
While owned by the Hand family for the 25 years following 1785, the property was a tenant farm with fields, livestock, and extensive orchards. Edward Hand is remembered for introducing a type of plum which subsequently bore his name. By the late 1790' s, in addition to the mansion, the plantation boasted a tenant house, spring house, two barns, and numerous outbuildings.ROCK FORD OFFICIAL WEBSITE